Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] HELP! - Problem with radio application deploy

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] HELP! - Problem with radio application deploy
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:40:48 -0500

I really appreciate the detailed explanation. I tried running gr_filter_design last night and it asked me to install SciPy, which I did not feel like doing at that time. I will try using 1MHz for my band, which may help get rid of the real-time running issue.

Again, I appreciate your help with this matter.
Let's say you get a filter that's, oh, I dunno, 100 taps long. That filter has to process every sample, so, that's 5e7 X 100 taps, or roughly 5e9 FLOP/second. Just for that one filter. And your flow-graph is likely doing other things *and* it's having to get samples all the way through your network or USB stacks into the application layer as well, call that 100 instructions/sample. So, that's 5e7 x 100 = 5e9 OPS/second just to get your samples into the application. You're going to burn-up the cycles on your CPU pretty
  quickly at 50Msps, even for doing "trivial" things.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator