[Discuss-gnuradio] Status of GNU Radio with OSX 10.9

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of GNU Radio with OSX 10.9
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:41:50 -0500

Or, rather, with Apple's new libc++ runtime.  I'm working on the MacPorts
ticket: <  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41162 >.

The high level advice right now is: If you update to 10.9, you won't be using
GNU Radio for a while.

It looks like there is will be 2 issues encountered when compiling GNU Radio on
OSX 10.9 using libc++ and clang:

1) As with the ticket, there will be errors caused by something to do with
boost.  This is typical, and we're seeing it in a bunch of other ports too
(incuding UHD, which I have patched temporarily within MacPorts to work around
the issue).  I'm not sure what the solution is, but it does not happen to
everyone so it's likely the way boost is installed.

2) Even if you did get past the first boost issue, you'd get to the SWIG one,
which isn't easily fixable -- we can't patch SWIG-generated code, since it is
created during runtime.  The issue is that SWIG works with C++04 compliant c++
runtime, but not with C++11 compliant runtime, and libc++ is the latter, and
the 2 are not totally backwards compatible.  SWIG has a ticket open at <
http://sourceforge.net/p/swig/bugs/1331/ > with this issue since August 27,
2013; it has LOTS of tickets open right now with various issue, and, while I'm
sure the SWIG programmers are making progress, progress does not seem to be
very fast.

With the above in mind, I recommend that you do NOT update to 10.9 if you're
going to be using GNU Radio; not at this time.  I think the "best" temporary
solution right now to get GNU Radio working with 10.9
is to uninstall -everything- from MacPorts and rebuild from go using libstdc++
(the default in 10.9 is to use Apple's new libc++; libstdc++ is provided by
libgcc).  I'm not sure how to do that yet; I'll experiment & post back once
I've figured it out. - MLD

--

Michael Dickens, Mac OS X Programmer

Ettus Research Technical Support