Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute

From: Aydin Tarik Zengin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'square3_ff'
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 15:58:47 +0200

Thanks Martin,

Now I'm able to add running blocks.
However, if I want to add a block written only in Python - there are no C++ files -,  I add it with gr_modtool,
gr_modtool add -t sync -l python square3_ff
Then it gives the following error,

You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library gnuradio-howto without any source files. This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
CMake Error: CMake can not determine linker language for target:gnuradio-howto
CMake Error: Cannot determine link language for target "gnuradio-howto".

If I add a C++ block with
gr_modtool add -t general square_ff
then the error disappears.

What should I do if I want to add a block written only in Python?

And I'm looking for a pure Python block with file-input file-output operations?
Does Gnuradio have such a block as reference?

Thanks in advance,

Tarik

___________________________________

Aydin Tarik Zengin

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Martin Braun (CEL) <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Tarik,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 04:43:53PM +0200, Aydin Tarik Zengin wrote:
> I'm getting an error while adding a new block to grc version
> 3.7.2git-110-gb8b9bff2.
> I followed the tutorial at http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/
> OutOfTreeModules
>
> Also had to modify at some points as below.
> - in the test code it worked when I changed ;
>
> from gnuradio import gr, gr_unittest into from gnuradio import gr, gr_unittest,
> blocks

Thanks, there were some references to GNU Radio 3.6-style blocks. I've
updated the tutorial to reflect that.

> All the tests pass too.
> 100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 2

Did you add a test for the Python block? (Perhaps there's a problem
in the Python, which would show up here).

> I added 3 blocks using c++ for first 2 and python for the last as explained in
> the tutorial.
> I can see the blocks in the grc block list and can add them into the sketch.
> It generates the python code without any error.
> But the generated python code cannot be run and giving the error below:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "top_block.py", line 82, in <module>
>     tb = top_block()
>   File "top_block.py", line 48, in __init__
>     self.test_square3_ff_0 = test.square3_ff()
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'square3_ff'
>
> You can see the generated file from http://pastebin.com/nE4SFn8Y
>
> test module is placed under /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/test
> gnuradio is under /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio
>
> Is there any point in the tutorial that does not match with the current version
> of gnuradio?

Yes there is, but I'm not sure that's the problem. I couldn't replicate
your problem, however.
Make sure
- your Python block works correctly (unit test it)
- the XML definition for the GRC block is correct
- everything is installed correctly.

Perhaps you want to go over the tutorial with the updated info again.

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)