[Discuss-gnuradio] cross compiling make error within OpenEmbedded SDK

From: Taylor Centers
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] cross compiling make error within OpenEmbedded SDK
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 11:06:16 -0400

I'm trying to cross compile gnuradio for arm within an OpenEmbedded SDK using
bitbake 1.18
meta-openembedded Dylan
openembedded-core Dylan
&
meta-ettus e100-updates

After generating and setting up the SDK, I have downloaded the gnuradio source and am trying to build it from there.

When I run make I am given the error:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../gr-atsc/src/lib/atsci_
viterbi_gen', needed by `gr-atsc/src/lib/atsci_viterbi_mux.cc'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [gr-atsc/src/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-atsc.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

It wants to build atsci_viterbi_gen, a dependency for atsci_viterbi_mux.cc but it can't find the rules for it.

To try and debug this I followed the same steps to build gnuradio within the sdk and in my home directory and compared the differences.

Initially after downloading a fresh version of the gnuradio source in each directory I ran a grep for the string "atsci_viterbi_gen" and receive the same output, as expected.

gr-atsc/lib/CMakeLists.txt:    add_executable(atsci_viterbi_gen atsci_viterbi_gen.cc)
gr-atsc/lib/CMakeLists.txt:    export(TARGETS atsci_viterbi_gen APPEND FILE ${EXPORT_FILE})
gr-atsc/lib/CMakeLists.txt:    DEPENDS atsci_viterbi_gen
gr-atsc/lib/CMakeLists.txt:    COMMAND atsci_viterbi_gen -o ${atsci_viterbi_mux_cc}

However, after running cmake on both gnuradio's and then grepping for the same string I notice a huge difference.

The output from the grep in my home directory is very verbose with tons of additional files created that reference atsci_viterbi_gen as well as its own directory
build/gr-atsc/lib/CMakeFiles/atsci_viterbi_gen.dir/

Contrarily only two additional references were made to "atsci_viterbi_gen" after running cmake within the sdk, both occur when it was referred to as a dependency for atsci_viterbi_mux

build/gr-atsc/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-atsc.dir/build.make:gr-atsc/lib/atsci_viterbi_mux.cc: ../gr-atsc/lib/atsci_viterbi_gen
build/gr-atsc/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-atsc.dir/build.make:    cd /usr/local/e100.3/gnuradio/build/gr-atsc/lib && atsci_viterbi_gen -o /usr/local/e100.3/gnuradio/build/gr-atsc/lib/atsci_viterbi_mux.cc

gnuradio make's flawlessly within my home directory.

Why doesn't cmake generate the same files within the SDK that it does natively?
How can I get it to?
Am I looking in the right place to get to the bottom of this error?

Any tips or additional direction would help.  Thanks a ton,

Taylor