Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio-Companion Documentation.

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio-Companion Documentation.
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:03:12 -0400

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Tim <address@hidden> wrote:

> Docs can take a long time to build, so when doing multiple builds a day
> during testing you really don't want to have this turned on.   Likewise if
> you are building on slow machine or an older machine without sufficient
> doxygen.   But obviously they are valuable for users doing their primary
> build who want to use the docs.
>
> I'm thinking it might make sense to just prompt the user when pybombs sets
> up its environment and asks for things like the prefix directory - for it to
> also ask the user whether they want to build documentation in general for
> all the recipes they will be building.
>
> The main issues with this are,
> 1. there are not currently recipes for doxygen and it's dependencies - those
> would need to be written and would pull in a bunch of latex, perl,
> ghostscript, etc --
> 2. the dependencies for gnuradio need to change based on enabling/disabling
> this feature - we don't have a good mechanism yet in pybombs for turning
> deps on or off based on recipe "options", but we could add something like
> this fairly easily
>
> At the end of the day we do have a choice now between trying to keep build
> configurations fairly static and simple (defined only by their recipe set
> and guaranteed for repeatability - which is great for performing repeatable
> testing, versioning, and packaging) or allowing it to become a monolithic
> thing that has lots of different user prompted states and options.   It's
> not clear that we can't achieve both - but we would sacrifice a bit of
> conciseness and recipe simplicity to get there
>
> -Tim

At the least, we'll want to get a recipe for Doxygen, which is going
to entail a large number of dependencies, too, so it might take some
time to get all of those recipes right. At that point, it should be
easy enough to just edit gnuradio.lwr to turn on Doxygen for those who
really want it.

Also, remember that we host the documentation online, including many
of the past versions, the most recent released version, and the
current master updated weekly:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Old-docs

And one of the GSoC projects going on this year was to make some
improvements to GRC, including access to the online manual
documentation for given blocks, so requiring them to be built locally
might not be as important once we get this work rolled in.

Tom