Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to use USRP to detect and collect weak satell

From: Ian Buckley
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to use USRP to detect and collect weak satellite signals
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 12:33:09 -0700

Ruoyu,
Buying a commercial Iridium antenna is, I'm sure, an ideal solution for your work.
If the antenna is entirely passive (i.e it has no LNA and filter built in) then it will still pick up frequencies outside the band of interest.
And, though attenuation will increase as these environmental signals get further from the Iridium frequency band, strong local signals will still likely be received at a signal level much stronger than the Iridium signal because their path loss is so much smaller.
I suggest to you that you take a tool like gqrx or a grc flow graph and just move an FFT through all the spectrum supported by your daughter card, you'll get a basic feel for what your local RF environment looks like through your antenna of choice. I suspect that as soon as you get into 1.8GHz you will see a lot of strong broadband signals from cellular equipment. I know I also see some narrow band terrestrial signals in the 1.6-1.7GHz band locally in the US.

Filters will all to some degree attenuate your signal of interest, but by how much varies dramatically depending on the type and design of the filter, it could be 0.5dB or 20dB, but the point is that it attenuates potential interferers and noise by a great amount. An LNA cascaded into a bandpass filter as close as possible to the antenna is generally an ideal setup for this type of weak signal work.

-Ian