Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problems building flow-graphs on ubuntu linux 12.

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problems building flow-graphs on ubuntu linux 12.04
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:46:11 -0400

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Salvatore Micheal <address@hidden> wrote:
> dear guys/gals,
>
> i'm attempting to run GRC for my research and studies in EE at FAU, Boca
> Raton. i recently switched two OSs from Windows8 (and XP) to Ubuntu linux
> (in anticipation of running webSDR software from Pieter in the Netherlands)
> .. on my notebook, whether i launch GRC from terminal mode or quick-launch
> on the left, i cannot build flow-graphs in the IDE because i cannot
> drag/drop/double-click blocks from the menu on the right into the
> development pane. Ubuntu seems to expect me to drop blocks on the
> quick-launch bar on the left because it goes dim and highlights my Home
> Folder and Trash as if i was going to make an app quick-launch-able.
>
> this post should also go to an Ubuntu forum but since i'm new to that flavor
> (i used Suse years ago), i'm unfamiliar with helpful forums within the
> Ubuntu community.. if anyone can point me in the right direction, your help
> will most certainly be appreciated :)
>
> :) sam/kg4g-go :)
> ps: thx to marcus leech for his wonderful script that installs GRC; he
> pointed me in ur direction :)

Hi Sam,

That's a very odd error. I'm using various versions of Ubuntu
(including 12.04) and don't have that problem. My best guess is that
it's some issue between your graphics card/driver and the display
manager.

A quick thing to try. If you grab and drag the block from the block
tree to the canvas and then hold it there for a couple of seconds,
does anything change? What if you drag and drop very quickly? (I have
some recollection of seeing an issue like this at some point).

--
Tom
Visit us at GRCon13 Oct. 1 - 4