Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mathematics behind probe.level()

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mathematics behind probe.level()
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:59:56 +0000 (UTC)

For a complex signal, the instantaneous power level is proportional to (I**2 + Q**2), which you then average.

This is precisely what probe_avg_mag_sqrd does.

And, you shouldn't refer to it as an "energy level", since you're measuring power, not energy.  Those are different (but related) concepts in physics.

Now reducing even further, remember that the ADC is sampling a *voltage* level.  The power flowing through a circuit is proportional to the square of the voltage.
  The samples that are coming into the flow-graph are proportional to the voltage seen by the ADC, so in order to calculate the power, you have to square them.
  Review Ohms law to see that this is true.