Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] About the latest submission of usrp_spectrum_sens

From: Mike Jameson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] About the latest submission of usrp_spectrum_sense.py
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 12:35:23 +0100

Hi Ahmed,

Dividing the bin power by the sample rate in the calculation for noise_floor_db and power_db (lines 286 and 287 of https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/commit/cc12277f64207ff79a40094268c843e6b3e2d2d3#L0R286) was done so that the power level stays constant if the sample rate is increased.  This is required because the bin statistics function sums together more samples if the usrp_rate is increased and therefore increases the bin value result.

The noise_floor_db  value is subtracted from the power_db value to give a relative signal strength above the noise floor to make it easier to set the squelch and catch signals:

noise_floor_db = 10*math.log10(min(m.data)/tb.usrp_rate)
power_db = 10*math.log10(m.data[i_bin]/tb.usrp_rate) - noise_floor_db

Regards,

Mike

--
Mike Jameson M0MIK BSc MIET