Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Duplex daughter

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Duplex daughter
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 15:45:19 +0000 (UTC)

If your processing delay is 1 second, that has nothing to do with the daughtercard.  It has to do with the way you've implemented your code.

The delay through the USRP is a few sample-times at the input sample rate, and then the latency of to-host
  link buffering, which is negligible, and then the link latency to host, which is again negligible--none of that adds up
  to 1 second of processing delay.

Now, on the duplex issue:

Imagine for a moment that there's someone shining a bright light in your eyes, and there's another person, several hundred meters away, trying to signal you in morse-code, using a candle and their hand.   It's unlikely you'll be able to see the remote person signalling you with a candle, unless you do some clever things.  Like move the candle spectrum outside the spectrum of the flashlight...

Now, there are things you can do, like subtracting-out your transmitted signal from your RX signal by phase-shifting it by 180 degrees and mixing it with the RX signal.   This is essentially how circulators work.  The results aren't that great, and when you have a wide-band, noise-like signal, it's rather hard to shift it by exactly 180 degrees, because it has more than one frequency component.

Which is why for same-frequency operation, many systems use half-duplex architectures  like TDD.