Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simple QAM project

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simple QAM project
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:53:33 -0400

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM, tom sutherland <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am new to linux and GNURadio.  I don'g follow where the 1 bit/byte is
> coming from. Does the audio source not deliver 8bit/sample or how do you
> figure that out? I don't see anything such as
> "gnuradio>digital>generic_mod_demod.py " in my directories. Thanks for the
> help.
> Tom

Tom,
The audio source will produce single-precision floating-point samples
between -1 and 1. You'll need to think about how you want to convert
these to digital samples that the QAM modulation can handle. So first
convert it into some quantized representation (i.e., as fixed point).
Then, you should have a stream of 'packet' bits that can be directly
inputted into the modulator.

There are blocks called packed_to_unpacked / unpacked_to_packed as
well as a unpack_k_bits / pack_k_bits that you can use to go from
unpacked to packed representation.

Tom