Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sustainable gnuradio MFLOPS for streaming process

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sustainable gnuradio MFLOPS for streaming processing
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:39:14 -0400

On 07/11/2013 03:57 PM, LD Zhang wrote:

Hi Folks,

The number of sustainable gnuradio processing speed – I guess in terms of MFLOPS – is important for designing application. Suppose I have a FIR filter with a number of taps operating on a streaming sample of x Msps, this would translate to a certain number of required MFLOPS. And this number needs to be below the sustainable gnuradio MFLOPS limit. Hence my question is say on a 1GHz processor, what is the gnuradio MFLOPS limit running on this processor?

Thanks,

LD

Nobody is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.  Much depends on the processor in question -- internal details including pipelining
  efficiency, cache sizes, etc, etc.

But having said that, a FIR filter is, from a high-level simply a series of multiply-accumulate operations -- one per tap.  Conventionally, one
  "FLOP" is one multiply-accumulate so, to a very sloppy first-order, a 100-tap FIR filter requires about 100 FLOPs.  Now, unfortunately, a FIR
  filter doesn't live in "isolation", it has much surrounding scaffolding and infrastructure.

The only way to really get a handle on this stuff is to build test cases, and *measure on the target platform*.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator