[Discuss-gnuradio] GRCC No GUI?

From: Dan CaJacob
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRCC No GUI?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 23:15:35 -0400

Is it possible to modify the GRCC tool to work on a system without a display, or over SSH without X-forwarding?

I recently found that the GRCC tool which allows you to boil a GRC file down to a Python file, only works on computers with a graphical display, like a desktop.  On servers with no GUI or over an SSH session with X-forwarding, the command fails.  I think Josh commented on a thread that made mention of this recently, but I wanted to bring it up again.

I deploy gnuradio to lots of remote machines and some of those systems depend on hierarchical blocks.  GRCC is awesome because it generates the Hier block Py file and can be commanded to put a copy of the file in the user's .grc_gnuradio folder, and also allows you to generate the higher level flow graphs that use the Hier blocks.

I am actually deploying the FGs and Her blocks to a desktop machine, but over SSH without X-forwarding, since the configuration management tool I am using (ansible) doesn't support X-forwarding yet.  If you try to run GRCC over SSH with X-forwarding, everything is peachy.

Following up on a comment Josh made in the earlier discussion about GRCC, I tried to pull out all of the GUI references that the GRCC tool depends on, but I still ended up with an enigmatic error in the end.  Unfortunately, this was done two weeks ago and I don't have any good info on where I left it.