Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3.7 - nothing works :)

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3.7 - nothing works :)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:25:29 -0400

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Yes, we made the big move the other day towards the 3.7.0 release.
>> Basically, we made next into master, so master is tracking the 3.7 API
> branch
>> now. You should have noticed the ~1100 updates when you pulled master.
>
> Yes, of course.
>
>> All blocks and code that come with GNU Radio should work fine (we're bug
>> testing, so reports on bugs in out blocks are welcome). So anything you
> have
>> that uses only GNU Radio blocks should update fine, as long as updated any
>> of the 'old' blocks with the newer ones.
>
> This is exactly what I have found out now; I had a mixture of blocks on my
> system from different sources, most came with Marcus' build script. Cleaning
> up there makes things a lot clearer to me.
>
>> I just sent another message to the listserv about this. All external GNU
> Radio
>
> Seen...
>
>> projects must be updated to work with the 3.7 API. I've already started
> this
>> with gr-osmosdr, including the interface to RTL-SDR. See the gr-next
> branch
>> on this repo:
>>
>> https://github.com/trondeau/gr-osmosdr
>
> ...and right now build in process.
>
>> Why does it take an hour to build? Can't you run a parallel make? Even
> using -
>> j2 should cut the time down to about half that.
>
> Just an estimation, maybe it is less after the last changes, but I am using
> a relative slow C2D machine, 1.6 GHz. For normal usage fast enough due to
> the SSD, but of course number crunching (compiling, "SDRing") takes longer
> :) Should be 30-45 minutes even with -j2.
>
> Ralph.
>
>  > Tom

As my email said, this branch only currently supports the RTL-SDR and
HackRF interfaces. I haven't tried to update the interface to the
osmosdr library, which is what you are seeing. I think you can use
-DENABLE_OSMOSDR=False to turn this off. But then, you'll only be able
to use the RTL-SDR source in GRC; not the more generic osmosdr source.

I mostly did this branch for myself, as I wanted to be able to play
around and test things out. I pushed it publicly since I figured it
would be useful to others. But it's certainly not complete nor meant
to be. So if anyone wants to help improve it for other hardware
interfaces, send me a pull request!

Tom