Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about UHD driver

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about UHD driver
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 13:00:02 -0400

I think you are missing the point.  In order to support massive parallelism, data must be duplicated as it comes of the wire and into memory.  Not duplicated in FIFO streams in an application.  The latter is a software implementation of a hardware task and is consuming resources.

It requires hardware and architecture changes to implement properly.

Regards,

Mark McCarron
I think you're still missing the very-important point that Gnu Radio doesn't duplicate the data.  Blocks that share an input share a ring buffer, with
  each block having their own pointers into that ring buffer.  There's no copying on the input, and work functions have a "contract" with the scheduler
  that they don't modify their inputs, thus guaranteeing that sharing the input buffer is "safe".  There are some pointers that move around, but
  a bifurcation of a stream simply means bifurcation of pointers, the data aren't duplicated.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator