Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Computer controllable antenna tuner

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Computer controllable antenna tuner
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 16:52:30 +0200

Hi Juha,

there's a lot of devices that do your job.
From the "classic commercial-grade" devices of the USRP line,
to cheaply available rx modules like the (in)famous dvb-t dongles. You can use the tuners on old PCI tv cards and a ton of other stuff. It all depends on what you need to do: What frequencies do you need to tune to? What bandwidth do you need afterwards? Do you want I/Q or are you basically doing AM? Want to have ADC afterwards or do you really need the analog baseband? For your "commercially available tunable magnetic loop antenna": I don't know. Not my kind of technology. Try a random used car radio that can receive MW broadcasts and does the tuning digitally. Most probably you'll find a tuner module that works well but has no available documentation whatsoever. Use your favourite digital analyzer to find out how the microcontroller interfaces with that. Or ask your RF IC manufacturer of choice. They build hardware. GNU Radio has nothing to do with that. However, this question is awefully unspecific and has little to do with GNU Radio, as it is a software radio system (and less concerned with the hardware; anyway, 1-20MHz sounds a lot like baseband to me).

Greetings
Marcus