Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio/Parallella project for GSoC 2013

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio/Parallella project for GSoC 2013
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:58:24 -0400

Or possibly more interesting and significant for the future, heterogeneous processors in a system.  We're seeing lots of this with ARM's on FPGA's, GPU on ARM based SoC, .......  In addition to homogeneous multicore processors with interesting network fabrics........

On Thursday, April 18, 2013, Tom Rondeau wrote:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Andrew Back <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> On 18 April 2013 08:56, Sylvain Munaut <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Hello, I'm starting this thread to discuss ideas about
>>> support for many-core floating-points accelerators.
>>> As it was said in wiki it could be for example:
>>>         -further development of Performance Counters
>>>          and Block Core Affinity
>>
>> Shouldn't we work on actually _running_ any of the blocks on the
>> accelerator before trying to benchmark them ?
>
> Of course, but the suggestion was that a GSoC project involving
> Parallella should do more than just port blocks — this could be part
> of the project but not all. I believe Tommy Tracy II has started
> working on porting, but I am not sure how far he will get before a
> student would need to start their project.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

Yes. We certainly need to get blocks ported over to the chip to do
anything. From a GNU Radio standpoint as a GSoC project, that's not
particularly interesting to us, just work that has to be done. What
we're interested in as a project is improving our understanding of
both many-core processors as well as the use of coprocessors for
signal processing/SDR work.

Tom