Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio/Parallella project for GSoC 2013

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio/Parallella project for GSoC 2013
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:15:07 -0400

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Andrew Back <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> On 18 April 2013 08:56, Sylvain Munaut <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Hello, I'm starting this thread to discuss ideas about
>>> support for many-core floating-points accelerators.
>>> As it was said in wiki it could be for example:
>>>         -further development of Performance Counters
>>>          and Block Core Affinity
>>
>> Shouldn't we work on actually _running_ any of the blocks on the
>> accelerator before trying to benchmark them ?
>
> Of course, but the suggestion was that a GSoC project involving
> Parallella should do more than just port blocks — this could be part
> of the project but not all. I believe Tommy Tracy II has started
> working on porting, but I am not sure how far he will get before a
> student would need to start their project.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

Yes. We certainly need to get blocks ported over to the chip to do
anything. From a GNU Radio standpoint as a GSoC project, that's not
particularly interesting to us, just work that has to be done. What
we're interested in as a project is improving our understanding of
both many-core processors as well as the use of coprocessors for
signal processing/SDR work.

Tom