[Discuss-gnuradio] Long PDUs

From: Sean Nowlan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Long PDUs
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:12:31 -0400

I want to see whether "very long" PDUs would break the new tagged stream model implementation in recent GR versions. Let's say I want to use tagged streams with length tags to transmit streams that would require many more samples than a single call to work() could handle. From diving into the source code, streamed tag blocks look like they explicitly ask the scheduler for the exact number of samples needed to process an entire PDU. So it looks like I'll get into trouble here. I can see how this methodology is smart for many packet-based protocols, but I basically want to control gated streaming with precise timing control (using USRP). Many times I'll need to stream for seconds or minutes, which implies multiple calls to work() to generate samples.

--sean