Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OpenBSD: still trying

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OpenBSD: still trying
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:53:52 -0400

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Alan Corey <address@hidden> wrote:
> I picked up another laptop, installed OpenBSD 5.2 (the latest for
> another month or so), and set about installing Gnuradio 3.6.3.  My
> disabled component list is down to:
> --   * gr-comedi
> --   * gr-uhd
> --   * gr-shd
> --   * gr-fcd
> which I think is all hardware I don't have.  It compiles and installs,
> but nothing works quite right.  I tried multimode, gqrx, other
> published things and they don't work for me.  I'm not sure if
> jackaudio will work but at least it's stopped whining.

Yes, you don't need to worry about the above components. If your
ultimate goal is to show how to build everything in OpenBSD, then
you'll need to install the extra libraries for that, but not for your
current purposes.

> Finally I tried make test.  3 out of 4 times it hangs (over an hour) at
> Start  22: qa_hier_block2 but one time it got past that and failed 30
> of the 179 tests.  After reading old postings here I ran volk_profile
> then make test again but it still hangs at 22: qa_hier_block2

That stall should never happen. If it takes more than 10 seconds for
any QA test to complete, you're in trouble. You can at least remove
that from the list of tests while working on the other problems by
using the -E flag. It's like the -R, except that it runs everything
/except/ the tests you specify.

> Then I did ctest -V -R volk and the output is attached.  The ctest failures:
> The following tests FAILED:
>           1 - qa_volk_test_all (Failed)
>           5 - gr-core-test-all (Failed)
>           6 - qa_int_to_float (Failed)
>          21 - qa_filter_delay_fc (Failed)
>          22 - qa_hier_block2 (Failed)
>          24 - qa_short_to_char (Failed)
>          26 - qa_endian_swap (Failed)
>          38 - qa_float_to_short (Failed)
>          44 - qa_conjugate (Failed)
>          47 - qa_short_to_float (Failed)
>          49 - qa_multiply_conjugate (Failed)
>          59 - qa_add_v_and_friends (Failed)
>          65 - qa_complex_to_xxx (Failed)
>          67 - qa_add_and_friends (Failed)
>          72 - qa_float_to_char (Failed)
>          82 - qa_hilbert (Failed)
>          84 - qa_pfb_arb_resampler (Failed)
>          85 - qa_filter_delay_fc (Failed)
>          86 - qa_rational_resampler (Failed)
>          87 - qa_fir_filter (Failed)
>          91 - qa_interp_fir_filter (Failed)
>          98 - qa_fractional_interpolator (Failed)
>         119 - qa_ctcss_squelch (Failed)
>         128 - qa_constellation (Failed)
>         150 - qa_cpm (Failed)
>         171 - qa_conjugate (Failed)
>         173 - qa_multiply_conjugate (Failed)
>         175 - qa_add_mult_v (Failed)
>         176 - qa_add_mult_div_sub (Failed)
>         179 - qa_type_conversions (Failed)
> Errors while running CTest
> gmake: *** [test] Error 8
>
> So I'm not sure what to try next.  I've been doing other things for
> the past couple of months but now I'm back to this.  This version of
> OpenBSD has (supposedly) improvements in pthreads.  All of gnuradio's
> dependencies except lxml and pyqwt are from the OpenBSD ports
> collection.  The version numbers are OK by the
> build_guide.html file.
>
>   Alan

The volk failures look like mostly just rounding and/or scaling
issues. I wonder if that's what's affecting your other QA failures.
Can you send the verbose output of a couple of these tests, like the
fir_filter and multiply_conjugate?

Tom