[Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Infos for Students, Mentors and everyone else

From: Martin Braun (CEL)
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Infos for Students, Mentors and everyone else
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:08:27 +0200

Now that emails have started coming in regarding GSoC, it seems like a
good time to go over how the process works. This will be a lot of text,
but if you're interested in GSoC, please read.

This mailing list is the correct place to discuss GSoC. If you're writing
about GSoC, *don't* be ambiguous, tell us if you want to participate as a
student, as a mentor, if you have an idea, etc.
General questions about deadlines etc. are all answered in great detail
on the GSoC main page[0].

For students who want to participate
====================================

That's fantastic!

If one of the ideas on the ideas page[1] sounds like something you want
to work on, please contact the mentor associated with that specific
idea. In order to participate, you will eventually have to write a
proposal on what you plan to do for the 3 months, so you *must* discuss
this with your potential mentor. A good proposal is necessary for
participating, so you will have put some research into the subject at
hand.
Of course, the Google FAQ covers proposals[2].

A word on the 802.11 project: This is definitely the most
research-intensive, because there's so much stuff already out there: In
GNU Radio-land alone, there's the Innsbruck's guys implementation, all
the new OFDM code in master and next etc. Outside of GNU Radio, there's
also a lot of code available. So you'll be going over a lot of stuff to
write your proposal.

If you have your own idea for a project, that's OK, too. Remember it
should be something that can be done in 3 months full-time coding
(although starting small and adding stretch goals is a good way to
achieve this). Tell us on the mailing list about it. If it's a good
project, and you're a dedicated student, we *will* find a mentor.
The more details, the better.

If you want to be a mentor
==========================

That's more tricky than it sounds (there's a reason we started
collecting ideas and requesting mentors months ago). I've already gotten
some weird (possibly bogus) mentor requests. There's a couple of things
we need to make sure of: An extreme example is the case where mentor and
student sign up together to rake in the $$$, but there's no code at the
end. Currently, we know all the mentors personally and we know they
would fail students if they don't deliver, and otherwise coach them
well.
If you know any developers, it's probably best to contact them directly.

[0] http://www.google-melange.com/
[1] http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GSoC
[2]
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page#5._What_should_a_student_proposal_look