[Discuss-gnuradio] Bandpass spectral correction

From: mleech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bandpass spectral correction
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 14:11:41 -0400

I have a need to have a *very flat* passband for some of the analysis I'm doing of neutral hydrogen.  Real hardware, of course, produces passbands that aren't quite flat--some worse than others.

So, I've tried an experiment in one of my flow-graphs where I take the (aggressively-averaged) FFT magnitudes by taking each bin magnitude and dividing by the maximum, and then using the inverse of that to produce a correction curve, as normalized magnitudes.

I then use those normalized magnitudes in an FFT filter (after converting into time-domain), and the result works less-well than I would expect.  The result is a *much-flatter* spectrum, but at the fine-scales I'm doing analysis at (0.5dB), it's not nearly as flat -- the outer edges are under-corrected, and the inner bits are over-corrected.

Anybody have any pointers to good papers on passband flattening techniques?