[Discuss-gnuradio] ICMP echo request via the tunnel interface

From: M. Ranganathan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] ICMP echo request via the tunnel interface
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:45:04 -0400

Hello!

I am experimenting with IP tunneling over GNU radio links. This question has more to do with tunneling and the tun interface under linux than it does with gnu radio.

The situation I have is as follows:

I send a ping (ICMP echo request) over the sending side of an OFDM send/receive pair. The receiver gets the ICMP echo request and writes it to the tun interface. I would have expected the kernel to respond with an ICMP echo reply and for the receiver thread that is reading the tunnel device via a socket to just relay that reply back.  However, this ICMP echo reply from the kernel is not forthcoming.

Any clues as to what might be happening here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ranga

--
M. Ranganathan