Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Scheduler Question

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Scheduler Question
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:06:56 -0500

Hi Almohanad - From my (now old) memory of the GR runtime scheduler (STS and
TBP), I believe you are roughly correct in the technical terminology, except
that the schedules are not guaranteed to be periodic.  They are opportunistic /
aperiodic: process as much data as "makes sense" given the blocks constraints
and how much data is available and how much output space is available.  Tom
(et.al.) have done some work on the TBP scheduler more recently than my
memories, so maybe they have been tweaked to be truly periodic?

That said, I do not believe either scheduler was created specifically with
those terms or concepts in mind; I believe the current scheduler(s) were
programmed as they are because they work well and were original creations.
They might have been influenced by reading others works on SDF and the like,
but I really doubt there was any true intent on recreating others works.

Again, these are memories that I believe are correct; but then who knows.  I
believe Eric Blossom wrote both of the schedulers, and he's no longer around on
this list to answer more officially (though I understand that folks do interact
with him in person). - MLD