Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Usage of Message Queues

From: Hanz
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Usage of Message Queues
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 08:09:55 -0800 (PST)

Thank you much for your answer. Indeed, its a shared pointer. I now figured
out, the the only way to get the data is via .to_string(). Though, im stuck
again. I use the following code to initialize the queue and message sink:

                self.sink_queue = gr.msg_queue()
                self.gr_file_source_0 = gr.file_source(gr.sizeof_char*1,
"stream", False)
                self.gr_message_sink_0 = gr.message_sink(gr.sizeof_char*1,
self.sink_queue, False)

Then I'm putting a DPSK mod and demod between and connect the output of the
demod to the message sink:

                self.connect((self.gr_file_source_0, 0), (self.gr_throttle_0,
0))
                self.connect((self.gr_throttle_0, 0),
(self.digital_dxpsk_mod_0, 0))
                self.connect((self.digital_dxpsk_mod_0, 0),
(self.digital_dxpsk_demod_0,
0))
                self.connect((self.digital_dxpsk_demod_0, 0),
(self.gr_message_sink_0, 0))

So my thought was, that all the messages then should contain one byte (with
one bit information). At the end, my code looks like that:

tb = top_block()
        tb.start()

        while 1:

                        point=tb.sink_queue.delete_head()
                        point=point.to_string()
                        print len(point)

The first curiosity is, that the length variates from 2 up to 2048. Can
somebody explain why? The next question is, how to i convert the "bitvalue"
of the string to an actual char?