Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] make test hangs at gr-core-test-all qa_pdu

From: Martin Lülf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] make test hangs at gr-core-test-all qa_pdu
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 18:42:59 +0100

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:28 AM, "Martin Lülf" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> while working on my issue with asynchronous blocks (
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2013-01/msg00488.html
>> ). I discovered that the two tests 'gr-core-test-all' and 'qa_pdu'
>> sometimes hang up. That means they never return until I interrupt with
>> Ctr+C. If I repeat the same make test without changing anything in
>> between, the tests sometimes run through and sometimes hang up again.
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-35-generic x86_64) with
>> the gnuradio master branch.
>>
>> Yours
>> Martin Luelf
>>

> What version of Boost are you running? If it's 1.46, 1.47, or 1.52, that
> would explain the gr-core-test-all. It's a bug in Boost that we get hit
> with (and we're supposed to not link against those versions, but
> apparently
> haven't done that right; see Issue #513).
>
> The PDU hangup I think is a race condition. I thought that I had fixed
> that, but apparently not entirely. I just opened up Issue 514 about this.
>
> Thanks for reporting.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

thank you for your fast reply. Indeed updating to a newer version of boost
(I moved from 1.46 to 1.53) seems to fix both of the issues. I repeated
make test for 10 times and both tests (as well as all others) ran through
without issues every time. Before I hat to retry only once or twice to get
a hangup.

However I am still curious to learn how flowgraph start/stop works for
asynchronous blocks, as they don't have a start/stop function, as far as I
understood. Can you point me to some documentation or a certain piece of
code where I can learn more about this?

Yours
Martin