[Discuss-gnuradio] About FLL and phase tracking error in narrow band dom

From: Alex Zhang
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] About FLL and phase tracking error in narrow band domodulation
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 00:27:29 -0600

Hello,

I am reading the code for frequency correction in the demodulation chain for the narrow band like PSK, GMSK, etc.

In the gnuradio/gr-digital/python/generic_mod_demod.py, two blocks contains the code related to the frequency offset correction.

1. digital.fll_band_edge_cc
  I am not familiar with the algorithm employed in this frequency loop locking block. Is there any direct reference for this block, such as paper or documentation?

2. digital.constellation_receiver_cb
 It has a member function to update the phase and frequecy of the incoming samples, digital_constellation_receiver_cb::phase_error_tracking()
Is there any reference for me to understand it more easily. Especially, this member function calls
void
gri_control_loop::advance_loop(float error)
{
  d_freq = d_freq + d_beta * error;
  d_phase = d_phase + d_freq + d_alpha * error;
}

where the d_beta  and d_alpha is updated in
void
gri_control_loop::update_gains()
{
  float denom = (1.0 + 2.0*d_damping*d_loop_bw + d_loop_bw*d_loop_bw);
  d_alpha = (4*d_damping*d_loop_bw) / denom;
  d_beta = (4*d_loop_bw*d_loop_bw) / denom;
}

I did not find any explanation for these two part of codes.
Appreciate any helps.

Thanks

--

Alex,