[Discuss-gnuradio] FSK performance as a function of Fd?

From: Joanna Rutkowska
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] FSK performance as a function of Fd?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 00:48:25 +0100

Hello,

I've been trying to understand today how does frequency deviation (Fd)
affect the performance of FSK modulation. More specifically how can one
express required receiver sensitivity (for a given bitrate and BER) as a
function of Fd?

I used to think, apparently naively, that the larger the Fd the better
(leaving aside spectral efficiency considerations). However, I've found
this paper from Atemel:

address@hidden

... which shows that, for a given receiver (and other modulation params)
there is a value for Fd that maximizes the performance of the receiver
(see Figure 9-2).

Unfortunately I was unable to find any more generic discussion on how to
choose optimal Fd for a given receiver.

I would also appreciate any suggestions as how to use USRP+gnuradio for
evaluation of a 3rd party FSK link? I.e. I have a TX and RX units
talking to each other, and might want to use USRP to introduce
"controllable noise" so that I could observe how my link performs (in
terms of BER)?

Thanks,
joanna.