Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] control of noutput_items by the user

From: Zing Yu
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] control of noutput_items by the user
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:15:32 -0800 (PST)

>I have now split the above flowgraph into two separate flowgraphs as following:
>uhd usrp source -> LPF -> my custom block_1
>my custom block 2 -> uhd usrp sink
>where I have divided the functionality of my original custom block into custom block 1 and custom block 2.
>Now, when I relay the information from custom block 1 to custom block 2 by means of function probe,
>I get the error message AttributeError: 'gr_top_block_sptr' object has no attribute 'my_custom_block_1_0'
>which is expected (because the two flowgraphs are separate and independent).
>How can I pass the info from custom block 1 to custom block 2 in this case?

Ok. below is what I have observed. When I run the above mentioned GRC file (containing two flowgraphs), I get below error:
AttributeError: 'gr_top_block_sptr' object has no attribute 'my_custom_block_1_0'

When I open the corresponding top_block.py file, I can see that the definition of function probe comes before the definition of 'my_custom_block_1. So, when I put the definition/instantiation of 'my_custom_block_1 before the definition of function probe, I don't get any error. Why GRC is generating the code in this manner? It should rather instantiate the DSP blocks first and then the variables/function probes etc.

Thanks,
Yu.