Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr_delay behaviour

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr_delay behaviour
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:13:15 -0400

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Johannes Schmitz <address@hidden> wrote:
> One short question. What happens if I call the set_delay method of the
> gr_delay block during runtime. Will it throw away/add some samples
> when the delay is changed?

If you increase the delay, you will skip over a number of items in the
buffer, but otherwise, no, you won't lose any data, so this isn't what
you want to use to throw away data.

> I am actually trying to create a block that throws away some samples
> whenever I call a memberfunction skip() but having difficulties
> testing it.

Calling a function externally probably isn't what you want to do if
you have a specific set of items you want to toss. If you're just
throwing away any set of items, then this should work. If you have
specific items (or items at a specific time or time delta), then
you'll want to do something with stream tags to tell the block to toss
items at a particular sample.

Tom