Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cannot make new signal processing block

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cannot make new signal processing block
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:46:10 -0400

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:08 AM, nexy_sm <address@hidden> wrote:
> Of course, that's at least what I can do.
>
> First of all, I would like to say that the biggest problem was lack of my
> knowledge in Linux.
> I was strictly following instructions from gnuradio.org about making out of
> tree signal processing block, and there is not stated that i have to do
> /make install/ before testing module.
> Also, nowhere is stated stest -V, for getting more error information, and
> also using -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, whish is used for setting base address or
> whatever.
>
> Maybe somebody should make detailed tutorials, for the people that knows
> only signal processing, not Linux, just for smooth start, unti they get
> used.
>
> Regards
> Nemanja

Unfortunately, you cannot separate the signal processing of SDR from
the operating system. You need to understand a bit of each if you're
going to do anything really, truly useful. So while you're struggling
to get some of this stuff started, you are also learning a lot about
Linux and the build tools. This will serve you immeasurably well in
the future. I am right now struggling through similar issues with OSX.

That having been said, we are slowly producing more information to
help people out. Look at the Doxygen manual that get's generated when
you install GNU Radio. There's a lot more information in there to help
people understand some features of GNU Radio and of the build system.
The -V 'trick' for ctest is kind of outside of the scope of GNU Radio.
That's something that's documented with ctest. I learned about this
myself by just searching for help on getting information out of 'make
test.'

One of the biggest problems we can have as developers is that we are
probably the worst people to document the code, especially features
like what you are talking about. It's hard to know what others don't
know. A lot of what is on the instructions and manuals that I've put
in are because I was just learning something, like using cmake
properly, and thought, "oh, this is something that should be
documented." We have to rely on people to help us put this together.

Tom