Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reg : difference between gr.file_descriptor_sourc

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reg : difference between gr.file_descriptor_source/sink and gr.file_source/sink
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:27:37 -0400

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM, sumitstop
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Q: What is the difference between gr.file_descriptor_source/sink and
> gr.file_source/sink .. I mean when shall we prefer one over other ?

file_source/sink takes in a string for a file name. This block will
create a new file with that name.

file_descriptor_source/sink takes in a file descriptor and writes to
that. This means you create your file descriptor externally and pass
it to the block. The file descriptor can be anything, now, an actual
file, FIFO, device, etc.

Tom