[Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction to Pre-Cog

From: John Malsbury
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction to Pre-Cog
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 09:15:16 -0700

Hi everyone,

After a few requests, I have cleaned up my pre-cog library a bit for general use.  For those who are not familiar, this is a library of rudimentary MAC layer functions that uses Josh Blum's gr-extras.  Here are the current features:
  • Uses python block writing capability of gr-extras
  • Uses "blobs" from gr-extras
  • simple_mac with ARQ and radio addressing
  • TDMA, FHSS and other blocks
  • A couple of blocks that are useful for debugging
Currently, I have provided a simple example called "simple_trx".  This implements a full-duplex or half-duplex, random access link with ARQ between one or more radios.  You can transfer data to and from the appliction through a TCP/IP interface.  If you replace the socket_msg block with the gr-extras tun/tap block, you can mirror the functionality of tunnel.py.  Or you can put any other arbitrary data sink/source.

Examples that use the TDMA and FHSS will be coming soon...

Youtube Video (sorry audio is pretty low): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8emQ-TvD90
Github Repo: https://github.com/buoyboy/pre-cog
Wiki: https://github.com/buoyboy/pre-cog/wiki

Looking for thoughts, feedback, and ideas.  [and of course, bug reports]

Best Regards,
John Malsbury

PS - It's called pre-cog, because I think this is an experimental.  My expectation is that we'll apply lessons learned with this to a more permanent solution.