Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8-channel receiver

From: Anisha Gorur
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8-channel receiver
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 16:43:04 -0400

Thank you very much again!

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

On 09/29/2012 09:46 AM, Anisha Gorur wrote:
> Thanks Josh, that helps quite a bit! Our sampling frequency is not
> particularly fast, it will only be around 5 MS/S. Right now the send and
> receive frame size are still the defaults, 1472 for receive and 1444 for
> send. In the notes, it says "to improve receive latency, configure the
> transport for a smaller frame size", will this work for send latency as
> well? Also is there an equation I can use to determine what the best frame
> sizes would be, or should I just go with trial and error and use
> latency_test.cpp to determine if it has shifted? If you change the frame
> size, how much improvement in latency do you usually see?
> Again, thank you so much.
> -Anisha

The reason that shrinking the receive frame size reduces latency is that
the RX DSP chain produces samples at a fixed rate. Therefore, the device
cannot release a packet until samples_per_packet / sample_rate. The
first sample is a packet is delayed by the time it takes to produce the
last sample.

However, in the case of transmission/send there is no such issue.
Essentially your application is the pacer and producer of samples. So
you have total control.

-Josh