Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP / Laptop Road case?

From: Ian Buckley
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP / Laptop Road case?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:22:37 -0700

Dave, I've built a few systems like this using Pelican case's or cheaper knock
off's.
Rather than go for a "side-by-side layout" which is hard to accommodate in
common Peli case sizes, I buried the gel cells and USRP deep in the foam under
the laptop. By making the USRP fit snuggly in the foam I was able to build an
effective plenum using the USRP's built in fan so that not only did the USRP
get sufficient air, but the gel cells and laptop underside received forced
airflow, with exhaust and intake air returned to the surface of the open case
via some carbon fiber pipe off cut's I had handy. Standard auto shop stuff was
best to build the high current wiring and source switches for ON/OFF/CHARGE
selection, and I recall sourcing a decent weather proof connector for the
charging from Western Marine which got silicone sealed into the one hole I cut
in the case. These were all used in applications that used small antenna's, so
I mounted an SMA on a foot or so of thin coax directly to a custom bracket I
fabricated and attached inside the lid so it was approx vertical when the lid
was open. In all case's the laptop was never charged by the gel cell's, they
only ran the USRP which I recall gave a fairly balanced run time for the system
as a whole.
I'm afraid I didn't take pictures of any of these builds.
-Ian