Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] When Modifying a Block Do We Have to Recompile Ev

From: Frederick Lee
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] When Modifying a Block Do We Have to Recompile Everything?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:53:20 -0700

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Frederick Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Frederick Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

Frederick,

You will have to recompile and reinstall, but not everything. If you
are modifying a single block, you can just rebuild from that
components directory. You want to do the entire component to make sure
SWIG is initiated again to rebuild the Python interface. But this is
much quicker than rebuilding from the top source directory that would
walk through all directories (it won't rebuild them, but the walking
takes time).

So if you are changing a block in gr-digital, you can just:

cd gr-digital
make
make test (or ctest)
sudo make install

Tom

Thanks a lot Tom. It's great to know that I don't have to go through all the directories because I was using the gnuradio_build option on the build-gnuradio script to rebuild and it takes some time to complete. :)

Thanks again

Frederick

Sorry for posting again, but when I try the above instructions the make command fails. The error I get it this:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Does the build-gnuradio script put makefiles into the directories for you? If not, is it possible to get the makefile else where or find a way around it?

Nevermind, I found the correct directory. I was looking in the gnuradio/gr-digital directroy instead of the gnuradio/build/gr-digital directory.