Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about inter-block communications

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about inter-block communications
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:34:16 -0400

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Tommy Tracy II <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Discussion List,
>
>     I'm just starting with GnuRadio and I would like to understand how the
> GnuRadio block threads communicate with each other and use shared memory.
> Does anyone have any insight and/or resources around this subject?
>
> Sincerely,
>
>    Tommy J. Tracy II
> Computer Engineering
>  University of Virginia

Hi Tommy,

This is a pretty complicated question to answer in an email. The best
thing to do is look at the code to figure things out. You'll want to
start with gr_block_executor to see how the scheduler moves data
between blocks and calls the work function. Then gr_buffer and
gr_buffer_reader will show you how the buffer read and write pointers
are handled.

But yes, currently, the structure of blocks in a flowgraph require
shared memory to work.

Tom