Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Filter Design tool update

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Filter Design tool update
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 06:44:01 -0400

Adaptive filtering, whether FIR or IIR, will change the taps dynamically.

I love the design tool idea.

Bob

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012, sreeraj r wrote:

>I didnt mean to imply that there was some kind of formal discussion tool
>like a forum thread. I was just referring to these emails:
>
>https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2012-05/msg00142.html
>
>https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2012-05/msg00146.html

>I think that a new parameter tag would include an import statement and a
>function to call. Example:
>
><param>
>   <name>Taps</name>
>    <key>taps</key>
>    <value>[0]</value>
>    <type>float_vector</type>
>    <launcher>
>      <import>from gnuradio.filter import awesome</import>
>      <function>awesome.function_to_call</function>
>    </launcher>
></param>

>* I guess the idea would be that GRC adds a gui button the parameter
>that will invoke this launcher. It then calls
>awesome.function_to_call(current_param_setting) and when the function
>returns, the new value is set for the parameter.

>* Its not the only way to do this but that is one way to solve the
>problem in a generic fashion. I think the important part vs the idea you
>first purposed is that GRC does not have to know how to execute a
>program, it just calls a python function, which is something that it can
>easily do.

Ok. I will proceed as you mentioned.

>* Once such a launcher is possible, it would not only be nice to add
>this to blocks with parameters that take taps. But it would also be nice
>to add a new variable block to GRC that simultaneously allows the user
>to use this tool, but set its output to a GRC variable. Because I think
>that it will be more desirable in certain cases to set the result to a
>variable.

>* Another block idea, how-about a GRC block that instantiates a GUI
>element that also calls the filter generation tool and sets the taps in
>a callback like fashion. This would give you access to using this tool
>in a live/running flowgraph!

>Let me know what you think,
>-josh

Some users may just need  fixed taps and some would like change those during runtime. I haven't looked into the code for  flowgraph creation and execution  of GRC yet, still it seems to be reasonable to give access to the filter design tool while the flowgraph is running. I will discuss this with Martin during the next call (I am sure he will see this mail ) and will start GRC integration ASAP. Integrating the tool to GRC will help me to find more bugs in my code, as many users will actually try filter design tool. I will try to accomodate all the features that you suggested.

Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

-Sreeraj

--
Bob McGwier
Facebook: N4HYBob