Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Porting cgran AIS to the new cmake build system

From: Christian Gagneraud
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Porting cgran AIS to the new cmake build system
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:49:16 +0100

On 18/07/12 09:13, Darren Long wrote:
Hi Chris,

Might I be so bold to suggest that in your efforts, you consider using
the gr-osmosdr abstraction (http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/GrOsmoSDR)
so that the RTL-SDR could be used too. In fact it supports  UHD, FCD and
RTL-SDR, and works well in gqrx for example.

Hi,

That sounds interesting, actually, that was on my plan to try the RTL hardware once I'm happy enough. If i'm not wrong this RTL is the related to the chip found on some cheap DVB receiver, isn't it?

AFAIU, the ais_rx.py script is half about setting up UHD, and half about the decoding itself. I just had a look at gr-osmosdr, and it seems so far quite straight forward to use.

Nick has just updated his git repo with the cmake branch. I'll give it a try tonight.

Nick, do you have any thought on this? It would be really nice to get ais_rx.py be usable with different hardware.

Chris

Sorry for being cheeky :P

You wasn't, it sounds like a good idea indeed!

Chris

Darren