Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DPSK demod parameters question

From: Martin Braun (CEL)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DPSK demod parameters question
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:07:09 +0200

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:40:00AM -0500, Javier M. Suarez wrote:
> I am working with DPSK mod and demod blocks. I would like to know if anyone
> knows what is the meaning of the parameters in DPSK demod. I've looked for
> them
> but I havent found anything.

Hi Javier,

assuming you know how a PSK receiver works:

> The parameters are:
> FLL Bandwidth
> Phase Loop Bandwith
> Timing bandwith
> Omega relative limit

This block does *everything* from complex samples to bits.
The 3 bandwidths set the parameters for frequency, clock and phase
recovery (Tom explained the bw parameter quite well here:
http://gnuradio.squarespace.com/blog/2011/8/13/control-loop-gain-values.html)

What is confusing is the 'omega' parameter, I must admit, because it's
not actually connected (it doesn't do anything). Now if you think about
a PSK Rx for a second, you /might/ expect an AGC, and I'm guessing
that's where that parameter went. But as I said, ignore that.

About finding that stuff: the FLL is actually documented quite well
(check e.g.
http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classdigital__fll__band__edge__cc.html,
which is the 3rd result for a 'gnuradio fll' google search on my end),
but it's not filed under 'synchronization', so perhaps that's where you
went wrong.

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)