Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems installing/compiling gnuradio-companion

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems installing/compiling gnuradio-companion in Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:23:48 -0400

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Guenter Koellner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> did not find in the wiki, did google but not found any special
> information... I am also new to gnuradio, so maybe I just don't yet know the
> right place where to look...
>
> I am trying to install gnuradio and gnuradio-companion in Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> I therefore downloaded a ISO CD and freshly installed it on a separate
> laptop.
> "sudo apt-install gnuradio gnuradio-companion" does not work initially, it
> says that these packages are not available.
> just after adding
>    deb http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu unstable main
>    deb-src http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu unstable main
> to /etc/apt/sources.list file and updating/upgrading it shows those two
> package.
>
> However, I am getting an error when trying to install gnuradio-companion:
> Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
>  gnuradio-companion : Hängt ab von: python (< 2.7) aber 2.7.3-0ubuntu2 soll
> installiert werden
> E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene
> defekte Pakete.
>
> In english this means that there is a dependency to python<2.7 but I have
> 2.7.3 installed.
>
> --- snip ---
>
> ok, what else? Install it using the famous skript...
> Works insofar but it also gives a linker error:
>
> Linking CXX shared module _pmt_swig.so
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(abstract.o): relocation
> R_X86_64_32S against `_Py_NotImplementedStruct' can not be used when
> making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück
> make[2]: *** [gruel/src/swig/_pmt_swig.so] Fehler 1
> make[1]: *** [gruel/src/swig/CMakeFiles/_pmt_swig.dir/all] Fehler 2
> make: *** [all] Fehler 2
> make failed
> Exiting Gnu Radio build/install
>
> -------------
>
> Is there any idea what to do?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance (really!!!)
> Günter (dl4mea)
>
> Some more system information:
>
> My Linux is
>   cat < /etc/issue
>   Ubuntu 12.04 LTS \n \l
> Kernel
>   uname -a
>   Linux L8410 3.2.0-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 21 16:52:17 UTC 2012
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>>> Means I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E8410 dual core 2,4GHz with 64
>>> Bit installation
>>> but I have also had the same error with a 32bit installation.
>
>  Python version:
>   python --version
>   Python 2.7.3

Guenter,

It looks like you have build Python yourself (I'm not sure why else it
would be installed into /usr/local). With Ubuntu, just 'sudo apt-get
install python' and use the default installation.

The next best thing, if build-gnuradio still isn't working for you,
use the install instructions for Ubuntu found here:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/BuildGuide

Hope this helps.

Tom