[Discuss-gnuradio] N210 Unsuccessful Ref Lock

From: Ryan Wolfarth
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] N210 Unsuccessful Ref Lock
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 19:04:49 -0400

Hi all,

My research group is continuing our setup of two servers with multiple N210s for a GNSS application.  Each server will have 4 or 5 N210s recording RF data at frequencies of interest.  All are to be locked to the 10MHz reference and 1 PPS output from a Septentrio PolaRxS.  I have successfully tested our PPS arrangement using test_pps_input.  However, test_dboard_coercion sometimes reports an unsuccessful lock to our external oscillator.  The number of unsuccessful locks varies with the inputs to test_dboard_coercion:

Set1:  "--rx --ref external" reports an unsuccessful ref lock at 1500MHz
Set2:  "--rx --ref external --no_rx_gain" reports an unsuccessful ref lock at 1500, 1550, 1700, 1750, 1800, 1850, 1900, 1950, and 2000MHz.

These unsuccessful locks are intermittent.  The results for Set2 don't worry me so much: we're always running at high gain when recording.  What is the cause and is there a good solution to this problem?  Our plan is to have all N210s writing constantly to a ring buffer, but only writing to file when triggered by an external source.  The reference lock is critical since we're studying GNSS signals.  Any help is appreciated.  I know this list usually hits it out of the park, so I'm looking forward to your responses!

Thank you,
Ryan

Setup: Dell PowerEdge R510 running UHD 3.4.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 server.