Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multimode.py and osmsdr module

From: Phil
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multimode.py and osmsdr module
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 20:56:31 +1000

On 07/06/12 20:15, Alexandru Csete wrote:
on my system. So I guessed that I have to build the modules, somehow.

What exactly do you mean by "osmosdr" ?

There is a package called osmo-sdr which is for the Osmo SDR hardware.
You do not need that if you want to use RTL2832U-based dongles.

Then there is gr-osmosdr (note the gr- prefix), which provides access
to RTL2832U-based dongles in GNU Radio.
If you install this you will have both C++ library, python module and
gnuradio-companion block (assuming that you have them in your
PYTHONPATH etc).
On my system it is installed in
/opt/gr-osmosdr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ because I used prefix
/opt/gr-osmosdr during compilation (default prefix is usually
/usr/local)

So, which one have you installed, osmo-sdr or gr-osmosdr?

Thanks again Alex and Fredie,

I thought I had both osmo-sdr and gr-osmosdr installed but I only have gr-osmosdr which is what I need anyway.

I'm wondering why you want to work in python instead of
gnuradio-companion?

I have gnuradio-companion installed but that looks even more unfathomable
than trying to get a python application going.

Do you have a suggestion on how I might get something going using
gnuradio-companion?

As far as I could see, the python application you referred to was
generated from a gnuradio-companion file called multimode.grc:
https://www.cgran.org/browser/projects/multimode/trunk/
so you can just open up that file in gnuradio-companion.

So, the grc suffix now makes sense. I'll have another play and see how I go.

All I'm looking for at the moment is a simple wideband FM receiver that will work with my ezcap USB dongle.

--
Regards,
Phil