Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] patch to make FindQwt.cmake work on OpenSuse 12.1

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] patch to make FindQwt.cmake work on OpenSuse 12.1
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 15:50:49 -0400

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 05/13/2012 08:49 AM, Tom Rondeau wrote:
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Kire Pudsje <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I tried to install gnuradio from git on my machine. The only problem I
>>> encountered is that the qwt library could not be found (ie. gr-qtgui
>>> was disabled). Attached is a patch, to solve this problem. It includes
>>> the /usr/lib64 directory and qwt5 library.
>>
>> Hi Kire,
>>
>> I have a bit of heartburn over constantly adding new directories to
>> look for QWT libraries. It seems like we would just be introducing a
>> new directory for every platform we want to work on.
>>
>> The alternative way is to handle it by passing the directories to
>> cmake via the command line:
>>
>> cmake -DQWT_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/qwt5
>>
>> Since the library is in /usr/lib64, you don't need to tell cmake this,
>> since it's a standard library path already.
>>

> Theres not PC file for qwt it seems. So we dont have the advantage of
> knowing the correct library and include paths. So a list is somewhat
> necessary. There there are qwt5 and qwt4 specific directories, but maybe
> on some systems.

No, there is no PC file, so that's the problem. I'm just saying that
I'm not sure that the solution is really to just keep adding to this
file for every system out there when it can be specified from the
command line. And you're right, the qwt5, qwt4, and possibly qwt6, so
the list could continue to grow. It'd be great if we could get a
pkgconfig file out of them, but I don't know if there's a reason or
history from their side preventing them from doing so.

> /usr/lib64 may be the install library path for all x64 redhat systems,
> but its missing from the list. Has anyone configured gnuradio with qwt
> on fedora x64 for example (without specifying manually).

I'd like to hear anything like this, too. Adding /usr/lib64 is
probably something we should add, anyways, since it's generic over a
lot of systems.

> I would recommend replacing the lists there with the paths actually used
> by fedora* and ubuntu* systems. The other deb and rpm distros will
> probably fall into one of those two categories.
>
> My ubuntu x64 11.10 is using /usr/include/qwt-qt4/
> /usr/lib/libqwt-qt4.so, but thats already in there.
>
> File in question for reference:
> http://gnuradio.org/cgit/gnuradio.git/tree/cmake/Modules/FindQwt.cmake
>
> Dont think /sw is a common install prefix.
>
> -Josh

Sure, we can try to figure out the best list to put in this file that
covers the majority of systems. As Jason said in his other email, the
/sw was an OSX thing, which may or may not still be the right thing.

Tom