[Discuss-gnuradio] SSDT question

From: frankist
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] SSDT question
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 17:52:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

This question isn't necessarily about GNU Radio but about SDR in general.

I am studying spectrum sensing algorithms and I was reading about
simultaneous sensing and data transmission or SSDT for out-band sensing. It
means that a radio is capable of transmitting data in one channel and
sensing at another different channel.

However, using a USRP2, I can only select one center frequency at a time.
Considering I am applying sensing to signals which have a bandwidth of 6MHz,
in order to transmit/receive data in one channel and sense other (different)
channels at the same time I need crazy sampling rates that GNU Radio can't
support. A 25 MS/s isn't enough to make a scan for all the ISM Band as I
wanted.

So there are several answers for my problem:
1. SSDT implies additional hardware making a single USRP2 simply not enough
2. There is a way to tune different channel frequencies at the same time
without any need to increase the sampling rate or use more than one USRP2
3. I don't understand SSDT and its limitations
4. None of the above

Any help, suggestion, feedback would be nice

Francisco