[Discuss-gnuradio] AFT

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] AFT
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 23:50:34 -0400

I've been playing with my simple_fm_rcv application, with both RTL-SDR
and UHD devices.  I'd like to be able
 to implement some kind of AFT. I tried using the PLL detector block,
but was unable to arrive at a set of
 parameters that produced anything but near-rubbish coming out of it,
even getting hints from
 blks2impl/wfm_rcv_pll.py.   So, I went back to a non-PLL WBFM block,
which is based on a quadrature
 demod.

The UHD clock quality is very good compared to RTL-SDR, but FM stations
in North America are allowed
 by the rules to be out by a couple of Khz, which makes a noticeable
difference if you aren't tuned "bang on".
 The RTL-SDR has a crappy clock, so it can compound any offset problems
quite a bit.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium