Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] catching UHD errors in Python

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] catching UHD errors in Python
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 09:16:39 -0700

On 05/01/2012 06:44 PM, Nowlan, Sean wrote:
> Is there a good way to catch UHD errors in Python? I will look into
> gr_async_msg_source for handling L's, O's, U's, and S's, but how does
> one catch UHD runtime errors such as if the Ethernet cable gets
> disconnected from an N200? UHD docs describe registering a handler
> method but has this functionality been swigged into GNU radio?

Hasnt been swigged. This would be neat because the errors could pop up
in a little message window in the GUI.

> Would it make sense to define a handler function in
> gr_uhd_usrp_{sink|source}?

No. Its more of a global process thing, rather than a per instance.

This is basically a swig directors use case, and there isnt any public
header c++ header stuff to expose. You are basically looking at a custom
handler in the .i file,
and a little routine in the init.py

I'm not in a state of implementing it right now, but if you want some
inspiration, the python blocks code uses the existing gnuradio swig
director stuff, you should take a look:

See use of feval in cc and h, py file
https://github.com/guruofquality/grextras/blob/master/lib/block_gateway.h#L98
https://github.com/guruofquality/grextras/blob/master/python/block_gateway.py#L45