Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recent development activity, upcoming plans

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recent development activity, upcoming plans
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:52:33 -0700

On 04/02/2012 03:20 PM, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 23:17, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> There was this idea of loadable modules for gr-audio. That way one could
>> build gr-audio for all the audio development environments, but when
>> deploying, you only install the modules that the OS has runtime support
>> for. Think deb packaging, where each module becomes a package with
>> specific requirements like libjack, libalsa...
>
> When gr-audio was individual top-level directories, doing the above
> was trivial, and in fact, was how it was done for the old debian
> packages in 3.2.
>
> How do you see making this work now?

Well, so I would like to restore that install capability that was lost
when we combined gr-audio components into one.

The basic idea is, rather than all implementations of audio source/sink
being built into the gnuradio-audio.so, we build the implementations
into separate modules. Whatever modules are installed at runtime are
loaded, and available for selection via the audio.conf settings.

-josh