Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing gnuradio on mint - libboost problem

From: concernedconsumer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing gnuradio on mint - libboost problem
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 01:31:55 -0400

On 04/01/2012 11:57 AM, Tom Rondeau wrote:
On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:14 AM, Josh Blum<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 03/31/2012 11:10 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Hi,

We are trying to install gnuradio on our home laptop running mint
12. ./configure for gnuradio indicates that the boost libraries could not be
found. After reading the READMEboost, I downloaded the latest boost,
boost_1_49.tar.bz2. This version of boost uses bootstrap and configure
to install. The boost lib files are installed:
/usr/local/boost_1_49_0/lib/library files

include headers are in:
/usr/local/boost_1_49_0/include/boost/hpp file

I have added:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/boost_1_49_0/lib

Attached are outputs from the .bootstrap and ./configure commands for gnuradio.
Any thoughts suggestions for getting ./configure to see the libboost files?
Have we
correctly set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for our boost lib/include locations

So, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is your system's library search path, its a runtime
thing so it wont help with configuring.

You should have a boost that comes with your system's package manager.
That should be easier to install and the configuration should be more
automatic.

But, If you are going to use a boost installed into a non-standard path,
take a look at the m4 file here:
http://gnuradio.org/cgit/gnuradio.git/tree/config/ax_boost_base.m4
there seem to be options like --with-boost-libdir=

-Josh

Yes, Josh is right, Mint 12 has a version of Boost that is plenty new
enough for GNU Radio (1.46.1.1; we require 1.35).

It _should_ be:

$ sudo apt-get install libboost-dev

That will pull in all of the Boost libraries for you and install them
into /usr/lib. (This is just a guess since I don't have a Mint machine
to test on).

Tom

Thank You - Tom and Josh. That worked for us - installed 1-46-dev with synaptic. This installed boost libs in /usr/lib and include file in /usr/include/boost. gnuradio configure can find them so the only components skipped were gr-comedi, gr-video-sdi, gr-shd, gr-fcd - I think usually harmless. We ran make check and most went well but apparently an error no module digital_swig as attech. Will look further on this one. Also gnuradio companion comes up but errors on the simple dial_tone. One diagnostic (attached gcerror) says n such file or dir /dev/dsp - using Volk machine - runtime error audio_oss_sink. Don't know if this id related to failed make check test.

Other thought should we have used cmake instead?

Thank you
J. and dad