Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] detecting spectrum holes

From: Jonathan Fox
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] detecting spectrum holes
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:10:43 -0400

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:38:18 +0200, Abdelrahman Ahmed wrote:
>

> frist of all i have two laptops with ubuntu 11.10 x32bit installed
> inside windows 7 professional x64, i used this link in synaptic to
> install gnuradio packages:
>>
>> 11.10 contains 3.2.2.dfsg-1ubuntu7
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnuradio [1])
>>
>> and this guide
> to install the other packages :
>>

> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/UbuntuInstall#Install-Dependencies
> [2]
>>
>> After successful installation still there is UHD, i installed
> it through this:
>>
>> git clone git://code.ettus.com/ettus/uhd.git [3]
>

>> cd uhd/host
>>
>> mkdir build
>>
>> cd build
>>
>> cmake ../
>>

> make
>>
>> make test
>>
>> sudo make install
>>
>> #Check where your
> path is with "find |grep libuhd"
>>
>> export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
>> after that i
> checked:
>> ----------------------------
>> python worked
>>
> gnuradio-companion worked
>> gnuradio worked
>>
>> so guide me if i mess
> something or did something wrong in installation step ?
>> i will provide
> you with other information about hw setup and what each usrp box
> contain? in Saturday
>
> USB device performance/reliability inside a VM
> from Windows is not good at all, and I'm surprised you can get anything
> to work at all this way.
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnuradio
> [2]
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/UbuntuInstall#Install-Dependencies
> [3]
> http://code.ettus.com/ettus/uhd.git

I am curious, why did you not use the the build-gnuradio script here:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGR

It has everything you need to get started and if you are new to GNU
Radio it does save you a lot of trouble.

-Jon

PS Save yourself some trouble and do a fresh install of Ubuntu on the
hard drive, just make an image of your current hard drive for when you
want to go back to Windows. VMs help make life miserable with this
sort of thing.